Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Just bought Torque - I get "no data" readings

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Just bought Torque - I get "no data" readings
Sangano81
Post Just bought Torque - I get "no data" readings
on: September 17, 2011 (GMT)

Hi,
I just bought Torque and I get no data on all the readings.
The program shows connection to the ECU as successful, but a message shows saying that the ECU reports it does not support reading of PIDs.

Is it possible that my ECU does not allow reading of the PIDs? Could this feature be enabled if I go to my car dealer/manufacturer?

My car is a Renault Clio 1.2 (manufactured 2008), I’m using it with this bluetooth adapter:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/elm327-bluetooth-obd-ii-wireless-transceiver-dongle-16921

The connection to the adapter and the ECU is shown as successful.

Thanks for the help!

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Just bought Torque - I get "no data" readings
on: September 18, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

The ECU is more than capable of providing sensor information. My friends Clio was built before yours and supports a good set of sensors for OBD2, I would expect yours to be capable as well.

Your vehicle supports OBD2, which is good, but the ECU is replying with 0 sensors supported when the app asks what it supports. This is down to the software configuration on the ECU and you may well be able to get it enabled at a dealership. Some countries aren’t or were not required to provide OBD2 sensor data (by legeslation/law) so sometimes they disable some functions of the ECU (this is also quite common for imported vehicles from japan). What country is the vehicle from?

Basically, this is just software configuration. Which is always changeable. However it’s down to the dealership if you/they can communicate/understand what you would like them to do

Sangano81
on: September 18, 2011 (GMT)

My Clio was built in Argentina (which is where I also live). I’m not sure what the legislation is on the data the ECU should provide.

Anyway, I will go to a Renault dealer during the week and see what I can achieve.

Thanks for the quick reply!

baronmax
on: September 25, 2011 (GMT)

Hi – I have the same problem

I have a Renault Espace 2.2DCI Diesel from 2007 sold in the UK.

The funny thing is I could have sworn I was getting readings from the free version so I upgraded to the paid version but then get this message that the ECU doesn’t support PIDs…

I have a cheapo OBDII unit but I have four green ticks and all seems well otherwise. Phone is HTC Desire Android 2.2. Next step will be to uninstall the paid verison and recheck with the free version (am short of memory).

piemmm
Administrator

baronmax: Hi

Can you start the app, wait for the message to appear about no PIDs, then go to the ‘realtime information’ screen, press menu->more->send debugging information, type in the description box ‘renault 2007 dci'(so I know who it’s from) and press send

I’ll have a look here to see if there is a problem or not – usually when that message about PIDs is displayed, it’s because the ECU has replied that it won’t export any sensors to the app. I can see if that is actually the case in the debugs

Ian

piemmm
Administrator

Got the debugs, thanks, just writing the reply…

baronmax

Wow! That’s what I call customer service on a Sunday evening! Have sent the debug as requested.

Also contrary to what I thought the lite version (or at least the latest version) also doesn’t work on revs (or other sensors). Perhaps I thought I had checked it by looking at fault codes (which works in both versions) – ie Torque appears to communicate correctly and says no fault codes found (which I’m assuming is correct).

I did take the car to a rolling road place and they could communicate with it there but obviously using a rather more expensive bit of kit!

Happy to take it to a dealer and ask them to turn on PID reporting but I have a feeling this won’t be that straightforward (or without cost!) so would be keen to know if its definitely the case that I need to do this.

Thanks a lot!

Max

piemmm
Administrator

Got the debugs, thanks,

Unfortunately its as I suspected, it looks like your ECU supoorts no sensors – this is the reply to the ECU for the list of supported sensors:

1316978996440 {– 0100
1316978996619 –} 86F17A41000000000032

If you put that(410000000000) through http://www.go-ev.com/PID_Calculator.html (to list the sensors) you’ll see that none are supported (or likely, enabled)

Fault code reading appears to be supported though (the responses to the DTC commands look correct) and the vehicle is responding to things like the VIN Code request, which means that it looks like it’s just the mode 01 requests are not supported.

In this instance, the pro and free versions will definitely not be able to pull any mode 01 data from this vehicle (speed, rpm, coolant, etc) as they’ve been disabled, so none of those PIDs will work. However, manufacturers also like to put ‘proprietary’ PIDs (a PID is a sensor ID) in other ‘modes (another id)’, these are more commonly known as Mode or Mode ‘extended’ PIDs. Unfortunately for Renault at the moment I don’t have any information on these PIDs and it’s generally not freely available so I can’t simply say “add the predefined PIDs for Renault” in the “Manage extended PIDs” section of the app like I would for GeneralMotors PIDs (which have been discovered/worked out on various forums). If this ever changes, I can add support easily enough.

It might be possible to get the mode 01 PIDs enabled at a dealership (this is literally just a software configuration option on the ECU). Your battle there will be trying to convey what you want in a manner that the dealer understands (it might be easier to ask to speak to one of their techs directly)

baronmax

Thanks a lot for the quick look at this. Will try as you suggest.

In the meantime I did find that the ECU ID code appears to be a Bosch EDC15 according to http://www.dnatuning.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=189&Itemid=342 but I presume that doesn’t give any help as to what the PIDs are.

I did try the link you posted, but when I put in the code I didn’t get the answer I was expecting of no sensors. Then tried the full string but also didn’t get this response. But maybe I’m doing something wrong or missing something in the response. Looks like an interesting website in any case!

Thanks again – I wonder if this is a common thing with all Renaults? I think mine was originally sold as something of a special to a contract hire car company dealer, maybe these don’t come enabled

piemmm
Administrator

My bad – the 41 shouldn’t be at the start (basically all 0’s for that website when you enter it)

Unfortunately the ECU ID won’t help – it’s a Bosch unit (thats also used in VWs I believe) however the software is customisable so it will be different programmatically. The PIDs (if there are extended ones) are usually ‘detectable’ by running the TorqueScan plugin, but that will only tell you where the PIDs exist, not what sensors they represent, the scaling or units (which is quite difficult to work out manually!)

OBD2 is a standard, introduced in the US in 1996 as part as legislation from the EPA – that was the major driving factor for manufacturers implementing it, in the UK/EU it’s not required by law (to my knowledge), but a lot of modern vehicle ECUs implement it anyway as far back as 1996, some before (as it’s just software at the end of the day). The SAE hold the standard, and everything is now moving away from disparate protocols to CAN in modern vehicles so as time goes on, more vehicles will support it

A friends Clio (which is 2004) implements OBD2, I know of people here who also have Renaults from before ’04 that the app works with. Unfortunately I don’t know any specific reason why yours does support OBD2, but not mode (could be because it was a fleet thing I suppose, but that would be a guess)

hawk_braz
on: October 22, 2011 (GMT)

Quote from baronmax on September 25, 2011
Thanks a lot for the quick look at this. Will try as you suggest.

In the meantime I did find that the ECU ID code appears to be a Bosch EDC15 according to http://www.dnatuning.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=189&Itemid=342 but I presume that doesn’t give any help as to what the PIDs are.

I did try the link you posted, but when I put in the code I didn’t get the answer I was expecting of no sensors. Then tried the full string but also didn’t get this response. But maybe I’m doing something wrong or missing something in the response. Looks like an interesting website in any case!

Thanks again – I wonder if this is a common thing with all Renaults? I think mine was originally sold as something of a special to a contract hire car company dealer, maybe these don’t come enabled

Hey friend, did you get any solution for your problem?
I’m near you, Brazil and I’m having the same problem.

pericles_izaias
on: January 5, 2012 (GMT)

I have same problem. Clio 2006 factured in Argentina. If someone have a solution please let me know.

baronmax
on: January 19, 2012 (GMT)

To the guys in Brazil and Argentina

… no sorry no luck in finding a way to enable level 1 PIDs on the Bosch ECU in my Renault Grand Espace Mk IV.

To anyone else in Europe…

My Renault Grand Espace was bought from a Contract Hire company – I seem to recall that the chap got the cars cheaper than normal from Renault – its possible that they weren’t made to ‘normal’ European spec… (and maybe this is why the level 1 PID reporting isn’t working – ie the same reason as the guys in Argentina and Brazil don’t have it working). Now where else would a left hand drive Renault be made for without level 1 PIDs? Maybe my Renault is South African or Japanese spec…? (if they sell any there). Mind I think Japanese cars have red indicators.. anyway enough ramblings!

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.049 seconds.

Follow me on twitter